Olympic withdrawals… there’s just no other way to describe it. I am one of those goobs who actually thoroughly enjoys watching the Games – summer and winter! In fact, I like the Winter Olympics better because they are so different. Having grown up and lived in the southern US all my life, it’s a treat to watch people skating, gliding, skiing and flying around the snow and ice. I can’t imagine what it must be like to do all that stuff. I can barely manage to keep warm on my visits to the northlands each January.
The Vancouver iteration of the Olympics is probably my favorite since Norway. They brought their particular flavor to the whole thing… especially in the big shows to open and close the event. And what a strange, but lovely combination of famous folks they brought to the table: Sarah MacLaughlin, Neil Young, Catherine O’Hara, Michael Buble, William Shatner, Wayne Gretzky and so many more. Add in their sense of humor and hospitality… I could go on and on. But instead, I’ve narrowed it down a bit.
Top 5 Favorite Moments of the 2010 Winter Olympics
5. The closing celebration, especially the way they “fixed” the broken part of the cauldron
4. Lindsey Vonn’s celebration after her first gold
3. Shaun White’s incredible “victory lap” in the halfpipe
2. Frank Caroll and Brian Orser coaching their skaters to gold
1. The opening ceremonies – diverse and dignified, moving and accessible.
Thank you to our neighbors in Vancouver for all the fun and a great Games!