So last night, the FPK comes downstairs and with great passion says to me, “Can we PLEASE get some sleeping pills for me? I’ve been trying to go to sleep for over an hour and I can’t.” The look in his eyes was a combination of pleading, anger, exhaustion, and just the tiniest hint of hope. I think he really thought I might be able to help him somehow. Sadly, I could not.

I could empathize. Lord knows that there are nights I lie awake for hours, not worrying, just waiting for the brain to move into a low enough gear that the body can sleep. This is one of those things that it seems I have passed along. Of course, I don’t know if it would fall under nature or nurture…

His father, my dear and loving Hubby, seems to be able to fall asleep within minutes of hitting the pillow – 98% of the time. The other 2% would be split between the nights I keep him awake because I remember a question or story that just can’t wait and the odd night that something keeps him awake.

For me, it seems like restless leg syndrome, but in the brain. You get settled in and relaxed, then some thought pops up. Maybe something you wish you’d said in an earlier conversation, or maybe it’s a rehearsal of a conversation to come. Once in a while it’s a song that plays over and over. and over. and over. Even the good ones get hung in that loop once in a while. But whatever it is, it leads to some other thought or plan or random memory in that wiki-like brain map.

I don’t know how to make that stop in my own head, much less a 13-year-old’s. Last night he tried some War & Peace. Literally. It might have worked faster if we’d used it like an Acme Anvil, but reading seemed to help. I’m hoping a new mattress might be part of the solution (it’s been 10 years- he’s due), and we’re going to try to do less strategic gaming and more physical activity. If we can’t crack the code, we may have to see what the Doc says.


What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s