Today’s RevGal 5 is influenced by the season– Grad season that is…
1. Think back to the time you left High School, what were your hopes visions and dreams for your life/ for the world?
I had given up on archaeologist, meteorologist and Olympic volleyball team member, and planned to settle for teacher/coach for a few years before deciding what to really be when I grew up. And I had this really crazy dream that some day I’d sing back up for Lyle Lovett, exchange wry humor, fall in love and get married. Turns out that it was Trisha Yearwood’s dream and the guy was Garth Brooks. Oh well…
2. Have those hopes visions and dreams changed a lot, or are some of them still alive and kicking? (share one if you can)
I gave up on Lyle when he married Julia Roberts. I knew it would never last. He was just too good for her. Honestly, the vision God had given me for my life as I left HS was to go to seminary and become a pastor. I spent the next 20 years of my life trying to replace that vision with something else, some other variation which would allow me to call at least some of the shots. Now my dreams are His dreams for me.
3. Hebrews 11:1 ” Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. ” Comforting, challenging or frustrating?
I love that verse. I have “seen” in hindsight God’s plan, provision, orchestrations, and care for me… even as I walked very purposefully away time and again. I love that now I can trust that all that is happening every moment of every day. That and I’ve stayed still long enough to see that I am about 3 years ahead of most people in my congregation… when I am faithful, I see the very things I hope and dream for my church family come to fruition. In His timing. Those are some of the most wonderful gifts that He’s given to me.
4. If resources were unlimited, and you had free reign to pursue a vision what would it be?
I’d be in seminary full time right now, with my husband working on his PhD at a nearby school. My son would be in private school, getting the sort of support he needs for his wonderful Gifted/ADD brain and loving to learn again. Then I’d get a call to a church who loves me for the creative and imperfect goober I am and is willing to go adventuring with me and our awesome God.
5. Finally with summer upon us- and not to make this too heavy- share your dream holiday….where, when and who with…
My boys and I on an all-expenses paid tour of every Disney park on the globe. One week at each, winding up with a night in the new room they’ve put into Cinderella castle at WDW. Obviously, we’d spend a day or two at each park, then explore Tokyo, Paris, Southern Cal, etc. We’d take miles of video and GB’s of photos and fall asleep laughing every night.