For this Friday, tell us these five things about parties, birthday or otherwise.
1) Would you rather be the host or the guest?
I like the fact that you can just leave when you’re someplace else, but I really enjoy opening my home and sharing what we’ve got with others.
2) When you are hosting, do you clean everything up the minute the guests go home? Will you accept help with the dishes?
I am ok with help, as long as it’s not cutting into the fun. Like, when the conversation continues in the kitchen. Especially since I like to do some clean as you go work… I mean, there are only so many flat surfaces to stack things on.
3) If you had the wherewithal, and I guess I mean more than money, to throw a great theme party, what would the theme be?
My hubby made our back porch into a tiki bar for my 40th. That was very fun, and I’d love to crank that up a notch for a party some time.
4) What’s the worst time you ever had at a party?
Four or five years ago, I had spent 4 solid days running an event being “on” for 18 hours each day. All I wanted to do was spend the next night (my b-day) with the hubby and son cocooned and in my PJs. Instead, my sweet hubby arranged to surprise me with a little party with 10 of our loudest friends. I wanted to crawl under the table and cry.
5) And to end on a brighter note, what was the best?
We totally downplayed my Mom’s 70th birthday, only to find that we had misunderstood her desire to actually make it a big deal. So this year, I orchestrated 2 surprise parties – one on the day with the friends she has locally. The second was a month later when we went back to our hometown in Texas for Spring Break. She got to celebrate with her oldest friends. It was so fun to watch her reactions and to see how much it meant to her that these folks had come together just for her.
Then there’s question 6 that wasn’t asked… favorite party drink?
Margaritas or Mom’s homemade Sangria